Thursday, March 24, 2005

Aache Maneya Subbamma Maneli Ekadasi..

Upavasa.. Ello swalpa tintharanthe Uppitu Avalakki Paaysa.. so goes the song.. And I've never been quite able to break off the stranglehold placed on me by the song ! Come Ekadasi, all sorts of funny lil things happen to the stomach.. and its just the pressure of dealing with the day I feel..Cometh the hour, cometh the man..

The day starts off with like 4-5 soft idlis cooked by amma .. Chutney ( coconut sauce ) accompanies the rice dumplings... thats how they put it on the menu in the US..! Another lil helping is fine, after all I 'intend' to skip lunch..

That should last me half a day...or so I make believe.. but no, its lunch time at work in a few hours..The calling is too pronounced..And bereft of a dabba, i stand in the line with a tray and plate.. 2 chappathis aste, not too bad I say to myself.. hmm, a cup of oily channa, bendi fry, dal.. whats that, they have jamoon now.. Muse at the counter, weigh the pros and cons, surely I need carbs, i'm not taking rice today anyway... The jamoon cup is there in the tray unwittingly, I swear.. What will paapad do, grab a few pieces will you.. ok..duh..

Yes, my next meal would be next morning, this night I will practise austerity and self denial.. Surely, I can handle it..? Piece of Cake.. oopsy, dont remind of food :)

Time to go home.. Nearing it, the bakery has rendered the air with the smell of fresh dough and commandeers me to the scene.. En kodli sir ?? Bread kodi half pound.. Bisi en ide ? Palya Bun Bisi Ide sir, also puff, veg roll, burger.....Why did I ask ! Ok, ond palya bun kodi... ( no food tonite anyway frm Amma's kitchen).. The tang of the stuffed bun barely out of my mouth, I reach home..slouch on the sofa, throw the stuff around.. Appa comes by .. Mukundu Mari, yenaaythu.. U look tired.. ( Ya dad, too much blog read/write !)... But i'm not done yet..Feign a tired look, stretch out, sigh out loud, muse abt life ....Dad's more concerned now.. Ruffles the hair, gives a hug... Would you like some toast then with cheese ?? :)

Can you please, Dad ?/ I luv u.. where's the remote... Friends is on.. not to miss.. Dad comes back a few mins later, with fresh cheese sandwiches... Would u like Complan, kusu mari....? Ya mango flavor, cold.. thnks.. Mom is up.. Eno fitness ge hogalva ( gym, run, something)..
Illamma, ivath Ekadasi alwa... I'm like tired.. Get a smirk... Here's the lady without a drop of water since morning.. aah, she knows me too well :(

A few hrs while away at the road, the biological clock starts ticking.. Hungry, feed me.. What !.. Never won a battle with the devil yet.. Viji, eno oota plans ?/ Hmm, we can eat at my house he says if wifey has cooked..mostly has.. Muli Paratha and Stuffed Badnekaayi... Fruit Salad.. No rice though.. Will do man, its ekadasi after all.. ! Tuck into the first muli paratha with gusto, relish the second one.. modestly decline the 3rd.. Accept Fruit Salad with a lil murmur, not too much though, it can be taken back.. Sankocha Patkolde Thinni... sure, neev sankocha patkolde haaki :)

Phone rings, its Amma... " I have made Avalakki Bisibebath with raitha for you and appa.. Dont make me spill it now, it wont last till morning".. The groan emanating is a veritable one..
This is conspiracy , O lord..
Way, way up Chitragupta sighs, shakes his head and turns another page in my annals. Chapter 29 is nearing a close, he dips the stem of the feather in red ink and daubs the papyrus...Austerity, Abstinence, penance are all stricken off... Humans, U give them all.. and once in a fortnight, they can't hold.. And to think there were some brownie points there for the asking.. Yama's been tough these days..
The bandwagon rolls on, 15 days later the charade has to be re-enacted :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home